[Read] ➲ Massacre of the Dreamers Author Ana Castillo – 9tvuk.us

Massacre of the Dreamers The I In These Critical Essays By Novelist, Poet, Scholar, And Activist Curandera Ana Castillo Is That Of The Mexic Amerindian Woman Living In The United States The Essays Are Addressed To Everyone Interested In The Roots Of The Colonized Woman S Reality Castillo Introduces The Term Xicanisma In A Passionate Call For A Politically Active, Socially Committed Chicana Feminism In A Countryless Woman, Castillo Outlines The Experience Of The Brown Woman In A Racist Society That Recognizes Race Relations Mostly As A Black And White Dilemma Essays On The Watsonville Strike, The Early Chicano Movement, And The Roots Of Machismo Illustrate The Extent To Which Women Still Struggle Against Male Dominance Other Essays Suggest Strategies For Opposing The Suppression Of Women S Spirituality And Sexuality By Institutionalized Religion And The State These Challenging Essays Will Be A Provocative Guide For Those Who Envision A New Future For Women As We Face A New Century

Is a well-known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the Massacre of the Dreamers book, this is one of the most wanted Ana Castillo author readers around the world.

[Read] ➲ Massacre of the Dreamers  Author Ana Castillo – 9tvuk.us
  • Paperback
  • 256 pages
  • Massacre of the Dreamers
  • Ana Castillo
  • English
  • 10 September 2019
  • 0452274249

10 thoughts on “Massacre of the Dreamers

Ana Castillo issues a call to action for consciousness raising centered on the experiences, legacy and potential of female bodied women who trace their ancestry to the peoples of Mexico Mexic Amerindians, or Chicanas The strengths of her project include her literary surveys of religious and political ideologies having major influence on Chicana thinking practices, an interview based case study of the Watsonville women s strike in the early 1900s, and her discussion of what she calls the mothe Ana Castillo issues a call to action for consciousness raising centered on the experiences, legacy and potential of female bodied women who trace their ancestry to the peoples of Mexico Mexic Amerindians, or Chicanas The strengths of her project include her literary surveys of religious and political ideologies having major influence on Chicana thinking practices, an interview based case study of the Watsonville women s strike in the early 1900s, and her discussion of what she calls the mother bond principle the revitalization of the importance of nurturing and bonding to children by men as well as by women that does not primarily favor male children She does all of this without resorting to overly academic language nor over generalization While i believe that Castillo s work is valuable to present and future generations, i cannot say that i found much here that is personally powerful which i have not already found in other books But then again, i come from a Chinese background and question the presumption that sexual organs gender I am disappointed that Castillo, while intellectually critical of the dualism so ingrained in Anglo Saxon and Spanish North African Mediterranean culture, fails to question her own reliance on dualistic thinking in regards to sexuality and gender While she writes of several influential lesbians, she does not make even one mention of bisexual transsexual transgender people in her book I recommend This Bridge Called My Back, which includes an essay or two of Castillo s and This Brige We Call Home, both of which explore themes similar to Massacre of the Dreamers, as just as readable, but which containdiverse perspectives

Massacre of the Dreamers is crucial literature for any activist in the 21st century, as Castillo searingly navigates through the century old roots of oppression at the heart of the Americas the oppression of the brown woman.Castillo not only details the layers of misogyny in the multiple systems which brown women have faced throughout their existence, but she also manages to cast a vision for those of us who want to be allies of Xicanisma Chicana based feminist consciousness as we seek to Massacre of the Dreamers is crucial literature for any activist in the 21st century, as Castillo searingly navigates through the century old roots of oppression at the heart of the Americas the oppression of the brown woman.Castillo not only details the layers of misogyny in the multiple systems which brown women have faced throughout their existence, but she also manages to cast a vision for those of us who want to be allies of Xicanisma Chicana based feminist consciousness as we seek to free ourselves from our own internalized oppression Steeped with fact based analysis but not overwhelmingly focused on numbers, the book is also a model for what academic literature should be based on the present conditions faced on the ground by non academics, since the majority of the working class which so many scholars hope to advocate for have neither the time nor the patience to sift through jargon laden writing aimed at other academics

I became interested in the Chicano and Cholo movements through Edward James Olmosand in Mexican Revolutionary Art through Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera I had the opportunity to tour Chicana sewing sweat shops in Yuma Arizona and in Los Angeles I had a friend Martawho sold imported goods at the border market and who was building two housesone for her mother and one for herself in a town in Central Mexico with those proceeds There were no males on that scene I toured the fields duri I became interested in the Chicano and Cholo movements through Edward James Olmosand in Mexican Revolutionary Art through Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera I had the opportunity to tour Chicana sewing sweat shops in Yuma Arizona and in Los Angeles I had a friend Martawho sold imported goods at the border market and who was building two housesone for her mother and one for herself in a town in Central Mexico with those proceeds There were no males on that scene I toured the fields during star rosary parties And now Juan Diego is a Saint I listened to the poetry of Netzahuacoyotl from a community college scholar on Dia de los Muertos and ate plentybut not too muchof Like Water for Chocolate I can absolutely relate

As a woman searching for stories to illuminate my path or cast guidance on certain struggles be they in love, work, motherhood, sexuality, as an artist or dreamer or someone who s felt the death and rejection that comes with being born to the wrong class or gender I have never been able to find a solid foothold in the pantheon of famous feminist writers who to me all seemed bizarrely canonized for their whiny lamentations and suicidesI m talking about women like Virginia Wolf, Sylvia Plat As a woman searching for stories to illuminate my path or cast guidance on certain struggles be they in love, work, motherhood, sexuality, as an artist or dreamer or someone who s felt the death and rejection that comes with being born to the wrong class or gender I have never been able to find a solid foothold in the pantheon of famous feminist writers who to me all seemed bizarrely canonized for their whiny lamentations and suicidesI m talking about women like Virginia Wolf, Sylvia Plath or any other of the birds of a feather born into a certain class of affluence and resources They had so much they practically drowned in it I am so happy to have found works that finally ties rocks around the necks of all those cross eyed hens, forever drowning out the stunted development that is inevitable to any woman who choses to bathe in those worn out and infantile stories of perceived persecutions and false liberations Ana Castillo, Gloria Anzaldua, Clarissa Pinkola Estes, and others like themare wildly strong and unrelenting yet compassionate and gentle in the way they mother the young and seeking and have what it takes to teach those with narrow eyes to expand their field of vision Resilient, truthful, unashamedly spiritual and heart felt with an uncommon wit and brazen nerve to laugh off the man children who mock them and the stroking concubines who help raise them This is the change we need Nothing ineffectual, passive, or weak here

Worth reading to get to know the author s background and life philosophy I d read Sapogonia earlier good read, but I don t have an extensive background in difficulties Chicanas face in life As a white male who has lived in Mexico Peru ,this gave me better understanding of women s Chicana or white or issues in a male dominated, male constructed society that does not treat women as equal partners in society, how current roles in society have been legitimized by our social inst Worth reading to get to know the author s background and life philosophy I d read Sapogonia earlier good read, but I don t have an extensive background in difficulties Chicanas face in life As a white male who has lived in Mexico Peru ,this gave me better understanding of women s Chicana or white or issues in a male dominated, male constructed society that does not treat women as equal partners in society, how current roles in society have been legitimized by our social institutions Christianity, or the Catholic church Readers will learn a lot about many roles in US society today, hopefully how they can make US society trulyinclusive less racist everyone better off Note it does not meanFree Trade unfettered capitalism We need a less materially oriented not socialist society

i have very mixed feelings about this book on the one hand, ana castillo, in introducing the concept of xicanisma an expansion of chicana feminism , takes appealing positions on interesting topics ranging from literary theory to sexuality on the other hand, the writing is tough to follow at times it comes across as disjointed and hollow in the end, reading these essays was an adventure in frustration largely because i felt that she often jumped from one interesting idea to another in the i have very mixed feelings about this book on the one hand, ana castillo, in introducing the concept of xicanisma an expansion of chicana feminism , takes appealing positions on interesting topics ranging from literary theory to sexuality on the other hand, the writing is tough to follow at times it comes across as disjointed and hollow in the end, reading these essays was an adventure in frustration largely because i felt that she often jumped from one interesting idea to another in the span of a single paragraph without explaining either this book might be a candidate for a second read

This was overall pretty good though there was some fatalism within a lot of the book s arguments and the general critique of marxism leninism falling from a rather liberal standpoint didn t sit well with me, obviously , i.e that because things were one way in the past w in activism they will be that way in the future, a lot of the terms were really dated i.e referring to women s oppression based on physiognomy was rather embarrassing to read and the cissexism could do without but there were This was overall pretty good though there was some fatalism within a lot of the book s arguments and the general critique of marxism leninism falling from a rather liberal standpoint didn t sit well with me, obviously , i.e that because things were one way in the past w in activism they will be that way in the future, a lot of the terms were really dated i.e referring to women s oppression based on physiognomy was rather embarrassing to read and the cissexism could do without but there were some good parts to it, and it is the text that launched xicanisma

I had the pleasure of meeting Ana Castillo this past November There were only 15 of us at the reading, so we had the honor of an intimate reading, question and answer session Afterwards, my sister Lucia and I had a great long conversation with her She is a brilliant and talented woman, who inspired me to continue with my graduate education My only regret is that I didn t bring my digital camera

Badass Ana Castillo is hard core on her essays about gender, race, sexual preference, and class This mujer knows how to break it downpoetically even Not sure how I ended up reading it on Christmas.

bought it because there was one essay assigned in college it has been sitting on the shelf since then So now I have read all of it basically she is saying everyone comes with different baggage Here is a group with baggage that you can make subsets.