★ The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo PDF / Epub ✪ Author Oscar Zeta Acosta – 9tvuk.us

The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo Before His Mysterious Disappearance And Probable Death In , Oscar Zeta Acosta Was Famous As A Robin Hood Chicano Layer And Notorious As The Real Life Model For Hunter S Thompson S Dr Gonzo, A Fat, Pugnacious Attorney With A Gargantuan Appetite For Food, Drugs, And Life On The EdgeWritten With Uninhibited Candor And Manic Energy, This Book Is Acosta S Own Account Of Coming Of Age As A Chicano In The Psychedelic Sixties, Of Taking On Impossible Cases While Breaking All Tile Rules Of Courtroom Conduct, And Of Scrambling Headlong In Search Of A Personal And Cultural Identity It Is A Landmark Of Contemporary Hispanic American Literature, At Once Ribald, Surreal, And Unmistakably Authentic

Is a well-known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo book, this is one of the most wanted Oscar Zeta Acosta author readers around the world.

★ The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo  PDF / Epub ✪ Author Oscar Zeta Acosta – 9tvuk.us
  • Paperback
  • 208 pages
  • The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo
  • Oscar Zeta Acosta
  • English
  • 14 August 2019
  • 0679722130

10 thoughts on “The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo

I read this book, many years ago, and i try to get others to read it I loved it back then, it was different from the other chicano literature i was reading, in fact it was never mentioned, but i found it and i thoroughly enjoyed it Yeah, he is a big character, and his writing is ecstatic, and sometimes i do think it is better that fear and loathing, but its probably the mexican in me saying that, but i do recommend this book to others, i think the last chapter says a lot, it affected me very m I read this book, many years ago, and i try to get others to read it I loved it back then, it was different from the other chicano literature i was reading, in fact it was never mentioned, but i found it and i thoroughly enjoyed it Yeah, he is a big character, and his writing is ecstatic, and sometimes i do think it is better that fear and loathing, but its probably the mexican in me saying that, but i do recommend this book to others, i think the last chapter says a lot, it affected me very much, when he goes to el paso and juarez, how he is not accepted by the whites in this country, and when he goes to mexico, he is not accepted by the browns over there, he ends up saying that he is at home, but no one wants him, so who or what does he call home , or his family at that its still the same today, nothings changed, i can t go into mexico without being called a pocho and i can t walk around up north without being called a wetback, but i m trying acosta, i m trying, you got me riled up and i am continuing this tradition, no one can shut me up, for i ve been here for years, thank you senor, wherever you are, thank you

the only book i will review, this book is important to me for reasons most people won t understand it makes me proud of my culture as a CHICANO in america and gives me an identity i did not know i had this book should be read by every mexican american, and appreciated because it is one of the most important books on the regards of chicano literature, also the revolt of the cockroach people is bad ass, another important book Oscar Zeta Acosta is the shiiiittt

I found this book lying around in a dingy used book shop in Jammu and bought it for Rs 30 Partly because I needed to know the story of The Great Brown Buffalo, but mostly out of the grief I felt for the state in which lay the autobiography of one of the most interesting characters the sixties managed to puke out OSCAR ZETA ACOSTA The infamous attorney Dr Gonzo to Hunter S Thompson s Raoul Duke Whom he gazed upon in complete awe and famously exclaimed There he goes One of God s own protot I found this book lying around in a dingy used book shop in Jammu and bought it for Rs 30 Partly because I needed to know the story of The Great Brown Buffalo, but mostly out of the grief I felt for the state in which lay the autobiography of one of the most interesting characters the sixties managed to puke out OSCAR ZETA ACOSTA The infamous attorney Dr Gonzo to Hunter S Thompson s Raoul Duke Whom he gazed upon in complete awe and famously exclaimed There he goes One of God s own prototypes Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production Too weird to live, and too rare to die This book drills a hole in the brown head of that crazy, schizophrenic and perpetually inebriated chicano lawyer and invites anyone who dares to take a look inside And if you have the right kind of mind, you might even appreciate the twisted mechanisms in there driving this big Spanish hell on wheels At the same time the book makes you shed a tear for the sad and lonely brown buffalo roaming the land in search for his identity and ultimately finding out he has none.A book for any serious sixties counter culture fiend Drugs, sex, hippies, Hells Angels, Hunter Thompson, Tim Leary. the whole package

Oscar Acosta was a famous Chicano lawyer from San Francisco most famous for his side kick appearance as Dr Gonzo in the writings of Hunter S Thompson His book is about race, sex, drugs, politics, and his own search of identity I read Acosta s autobiography because I was interested in finding who he really was since we only gets a partial picture from what we can read from Thompson Overall the book was enjoyable, raw and unapologetic Acosta seemed to beinterested in becoming a writer Oscar Acosta was a famous Chicano lawyer from San Francisco most famous for his side kick appearance as Dr Gonzo in the writings of Hunter S Thompson His book is about race, sex, drugs, politics, and his own search of identity I read Acosta s autobiography because I was interested in finding who he really was since we only gets a partial picture from what we can read from Thompson Overall the book was enjoyable, raw and unapologetic Acosta seemed to beinterested in becoming a writer than practicing law as he reminds readers often about his failed ambition Nevertheless he left an interesting testimony of what was the Chicano culture in the 50 s and 60 s.Some chapters lacks cohesion from time to time but the flashbacks of his childhood memories were well written The last chapters about Texas and Mexico were my favorites There is something chilling in the fact that he disappeared in 74 , a year or two after this book was published

One of the best autobiographies I have ever read not only addresses the issues of racism and poverty, but is laugh out loud funny Very talented writer, too bad he did not writebooks For readers not familiar with him, he is Hunter Thompson s side kick in the book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

When Oscar appears before a judge in Mexico facing the charges of those nasty things, vile language, gringo arrogance, and americano impatience, 193 , we see a confluence of labels that the narrator has taken upon himself, shaken from himself throughout the novel he is a lawyer without a license, an educated man who cannot speak the language of his father, an American without papers to prove it, a long haired Californian who is not a hippie, one who decries corruption in Mexico yet has done When Oscar appears before a judge in Mexico facing the charges of those nasty things, vile language, gringo arrogance, and americano impatience, 193 , we see a confluence of labels that the narrator has taken upon himself, shaken from himself throughout the novel he is a lawyer without a license, an educated man who cannot speak the language of his father, an American without papers to prove it, a long haired Californian who is not a hippie, one who decries corruption in Mexico yet has done his fair share of corruption in the States Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo is a story of identity, but not the search for it it is a story of the m lange of a man s identity confused by color race, class, materialism, drugs, religion and nationality Though I expected some of the centeredness and nationalistic identity that would be iconic in Revolt of the Cockroach People, this is instead a tale of wandering, not of quest, a story told in sound and fury but without the weightiness of place, family, manhood, or people, signifying the nothingness of a man with no direction This is a story that can only be told within a context of the temporary freedom enabled by 200 and cheap gas prices of the 1960s Instead of moving toward an identity, Acosta flees from it, never really reaching a plateau where he or the audience can appreciate history or future, where he can simple or believingly say, I am THIS Whereas we might hope that lessons learned in life lead to some semblance of learning, of maturation, of identity formation, the flashbacks and references throughout the novel only demonstrate a multitude of influences which might have gelled one day to some semblance of stability, but both the genre and the material instead create the dissonant cacophony of the tumult that may represent the late 60s or the beats I m not claiming that Acosta is representative of the Beats, however We have here an unstable, isolated, suspicious narrator who makes no healthy choices whatsoever for us to trust him neither physically, emotionally, socially, professionally as he gives us a snapshot of the nascence of one man s participation in what would become the 1960s LA Chicano movement We have a man who bridges the cultural division of the 60s in multiple ways, with the best conclusion being that being excluded from society and prejudged does not allow one the right to condemn another At best we see a novel in which Acosta uses biotherapy and not in healthy ways to unravel the mysteries and obsessions that plagued him in his life with characters as closely resembling people who play major roles in his life suppressed, marginalized members of society Though I believe Acosta s later work bears importance in Chicano literature based on the level to which people use identification with ethnicity to define who they are as individuals, here the narrator rejects any claim of allegiance to any people until the end, and instead battles the effects a recurrence of victimhood and unworthiness Acosta s roller coaster, insatiable hunt for acceptance in life from others and through his writings and his writing about writing points to the need to bridge alliances rather than to focus on what separates ethnicities and people There are brief moments in the novel where the narrator shows where stability is or was part of his existence, but these flashbacks are briefer and flatter than other flashbacks, and in every instance, the stability was because of an authority outside his own independent nature His recollection of his childhood when his father would make the children stand in formation are minimal and distant,distant than his tales of budding sexuality for example, and his recollection of his Air Force years are evenfleeting It s those points in his life where transition takes place that he spends most of his energy high school academics and music religious conversion where he vacillated between Catholicism and Protestantism , and his journey through law school and his short stint as a Legal Aid attorney which he hated, abhorred, and avoided all responsibility except when he could cajole a witness to lie for a woman who sought a temporary restraining order The narrator seems to exult in this lack of stability, too much like talking to my friends and acquaintances who have dependency problems, who make lofty claims and lack the skill sets to realize these claims The lack of identity is further shown with his habit of name dropping, though part of the road trip genre as he simultaneously decries those who do the same Hastings, the internationally famous law school that hired only senile experts to teach anyone who didn t have quite the money for a school with real class 49 Seven years later, in the spring of 67, I ran into Tim Leary at Golden Gate Park 100 Charlie Fisher isn t impressed with famous people He has tons of bread stored in the Republican bank of Devil s Lake, North Dakota, so he didn t need anything Timothy had to offer 101 These guys weren t the world famous fags they are today In fact, most of them were alive then Even Tim Leary was still on this earth He hadn t learned to walk on water at the time 100 Tibeau brought some famous people in, but I don t know 140 I worked as a copy boy for the S.F Examiner from seven in the morning until three in the afternoon, then took evening classes at S.F Law a school that graduated both Governor Brown and Charles Gary whose most famous client, Huey Newton 171.And in Ketchum, he appropriates the excessive masculine personae of legendary Hollywood actors such as Gary Cooper, Humphrey Bogart, and Steve McQueen, all of whom play war heroes, out law heroes, and loners, quintessential American men struggling against a hostile world The level of disconnect across the narrative is really disconcerting There is Acosta the anarcho libertarian Chicano raised in California s Riverbank Modesto and who makes his name as a Legal Aid lawyer in Oakland and Los Angeles after qualifying in San Francisco in 1966 There is the Air Force enlistee who, on being sent to Panama, becomes a Pentecostal convert and missionary there 1949 52 before opting for apostasy and a return to California There is the jailee in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, in 1968, forced to argue in local court for his own interests in uncertain street Spanish after a spat with a hotelkeeper This disconnect is again reflected in the mass name confusion throughout the novel Henry Hawk known in pop culture as the cartoon chicken hawk from the American Looney Tunes series opposite Foghorn Leghorn Girlfriend Jane Addison confuses Oscar s mother Juanita with the name Jennie and both Jane and Juanita have the initials JA and JA Signed his father s name for credit when his father was in the Navy Claimed to know Hemingway, and that Hemingway knew him as Brown Buffalo and that s the name Mary Hemmingway would remember him Some person, or beast for all I knew, had signed each warrant for my arrest with the code name of Debby What we have in this text is not an autobiography of a man who sees himself as Chicano, though he uses that label when it s convenient As a person, as a man, this is also one who cannot find satisfaction in anything he attempts He is overweight, and knows it, yet consumes junk food as his only staple He is a drunkard, excessively drinking since high school, and has no issues about staying drunk for days on end apparently his primary calorie influx is Budweiser He is sexually unsuccessful, spending as much time describing his masturbation as he does talking about real his time with women, looking, ogling, fantasizingthan simply working on healthy contacts His writing is in fits and jumps and uses his short legal career mostly as a pretense to impress publishers in anticipation of a book deal later on, a story of a writer who understands that he should be writing, but has been running away from writing all his life In addition to the publication attempts, we learn he has taken writing classes, but complete his first novel only after he leaves class, and then the professor refuses to give feedback because he is no longer a student He makes a pilgrimage to Hemmingway s grave, dropping names again , but this is only accidental because of his wanderings to Ketchum, and he learns nothing about writing from the experience.There is racial national identity in the novel, but Acosta always presents this in terms of other Chinks and fags, women as ex lovers and non lovers, southerners, Okies, Niggers, Mexicans, all encountered through his life and now contra all his faked personas as he travels to Idaho and south Yet nowhere do we see him embrace any real identity for himself except as the Brown Buffalo I ve been mistaken for American Indian, Spanish, Filipino, Hawaiian, Samoan, and Arabian he witnesses, adding ruefully, No one has ever asked me if I m a spic or greaser 68 And how many times do we see him claim to be Samoan when it conveniences him, avoiding a real identification, one that would complicate his identification with those around him, but would behonest It s not just his peculiar physiology though, that confuses those around him It s the act of performance that he has mastered across his life that confuses us Dancer and dance here keep us entertained, but ultimately dissatisfied Who is this man that spends as much time with references to Tim Leary, Jerry Garcia, and The Grateful Dead, who calls himself the Mexican Billy Graham, who publically claims that My family is the Last of the Aztecs 140.Just as he runs from the responsibilities of the legal profession, just as he runs from the law when crashing his car, he runs from any identification with the stereotype, machismo Chicano male His movement along the road is like his is both purposeful and aimless, confident and unsure, free and irresponsible Acosta depicts Oscar as an aggressive explorer hammering and kicking, even plunging headlong over the mountains to find his origins 71 yet he also casts him as an impotent, lost man child who leaves a beer can trail in case he cannot find his way home His wilted penis 71 contradicts his representation of his masculinity and membership in either any Chicano or Anglo American patriarchy.The bravado of the final chapter s forewarning of Cockroaches aside, Oscar is finally honest enough with his brother when he bemoans that One sonofabitch tells me I m not a Mexican and the other one says I m not an American I got no roots anywhere I came here to find out who I was, can t he understand So I ve got to find out who I am so I can do what I m supposed to do 196 Of course, this is just the preface for his work where he actually does stand and establish his identity as a Chicano man within the melee of the Chicano movement in Revolt of the Cockroach People But this is still prefatory Almost inevitably, given a journey text as Kerouac mythic as actual, the pathway back into Los Angeles becomes the hallowed, iconic Route 66 He speaks of a time soon to come when he will become Zeta, as taken from the last letter of the Spanish alphabet and, as The Revolt of The Cockroach People confirms, also from the name of the hero in the movie Las Cucarachas For the moment, however, he gives as his temporary working certificate of identity What I see now, on this rainy day in January, 1968, what is clear to me after this sojourn is that I am neither a Mexican nor an American I am neither a Catholic nor a Protestant I am a Chicano by ancestry and a Brown Buffalo by choice Acosta 1989a, 199.Only in the last five paragraphs do we have a declaration of who he is as a man, My name is Oscar Acosta We need a new identity A name and a language all our own But even in this manifesto he cannot find himself He declares that he may be the messiah, once in a century who is chosen to speak for his people, but immediately he continues his name dropping habit to associate himself with the famous and successful Moses, Mao, Martin Who s to say that I am not such a man In this day and age the man for all seasons needs many voices 199 He calls for a new identity, Is that so hard for you to understand that is neither this nor that, but a new breed, a Brown Buffalo by choice Even here we only hear of promises for a new identity, some time later I would become Zeta but that is another story Work CitedAcosta, Oscar Zeta Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo New York Vintage, 1989 Print

Bought this book because of my interest in Hunter S Thompson s bombastic traveling companion and sometime lawyer What I found was a raw, revealing look at a man uncomfortable in his own skin and trying to find his identity while feeling caught between two worlds It appealed to me greatly, especially his madcap misadventures and grouchy gut I can relate to both Oscar Zeta Acosta was definitely a unique human being, one who grew up to embrace his role as an activist for oppressed minorities Bought this book because of my interest in Hunter S Thompson s bombastic traveling companion and sometime lawyer What I found was a raw, revealing look at a man uncomfortable in his own skin and trying to find his identity while feeling caught between two worlds It appealed to me greatly, especially his madcap misadventures and grouchy gut I can relate to both Oscar Zeta Acosta was definitely a unique human being, one who grew up to embrace his role as an activist for oppressed minorities I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to knowabout the Chicano experience in the early to mid 2oth century or the counterculture movement

Interesting and entertaining the writing reminds of a mix of Hunter Thompson and Bukowski but better than Bukowski.

A rollicking wonderful journey of self discovery or a narcissistic, drug fueled maniacal road trip through the southwest.

This book is vile and disgusting and yet it s like a distant relative whose spirit you see and you go he s cool.